Thursday 22 August 2013

Time to call in the expert...

In my last post, I was a little stuck on how to proceed with my latest project, so I decided to get in touch with Karen, who's my dressmaking tutor. I mentioned Karen before; her 'real' job is as a wedding dress designer, though she also teaches several classes at the Bristol Folk House, including sewing for beginners and dressmaking.  Karen's been in business for 25 years (though you'd never guess to look at her), and was recently featured in our local newspaper:




Doesn't she look great?!  In addition to being hugely talented, Karen has the patience of a saint and a wonderful sense of humour.  I've been taking her classes for a few years now and always look forward to Tuesday nights.  We go 'back to school' on 17 September and I can't wait!

Anyway, back to the sewing.  As predicted, Karen showed me how to line the bodice in a jiffy, and an hour later it was done!  Now that she's explained it so clearly I'll have no problem doing it again.



All that's left is to whizz down the side seams of the skirt(s), then insert the zip and stitch the hem!  Easy peasy (famous last words).  I'm going to make the most of the long weekend and get this finished, and hopefully make a start on something for myself.  My sewing buddy for the day is my boyfriend's mum, who's a pretty nifty stitcher herself.  In fact, she made this dress for our holiday in June, and it looked so lovely that I decided I had to make it for myself!  Thanks Cathy!

Have you got plans for the Bank Holiday?  Whatever you do I hope you have fun  :)

Until next week...

Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment