Thursday 29 August 2013

New Look 6184 finished!

Success!  The dress for my mum is finished!  Suprisingly, the insertion of the invisible zip went wonderfully and I even hand-stitched the hem (I *hate* hand sewing).  Here are some pictures:


I'm really pleased with how this turned out, and I think that it's one of the most 'perfect' dresses I've made.  The bodice and skirt darts lined up wonderfully, the invisible zip truly was about as invisible as it could be, and it fit like a glove!  The contrast belt worked well too.  Here are some close up shots:


All in all, a big pat on the back for me!


As this was finished just after lunch, I got on with making McCalls M6744 (view A), which I cut out ages ago.  I bought this pattern and some cheap jersey from Fabricland to practice sewing with stretchy materials.  It's certainly different to sewing with cotton and I can't say that it's the neatest job I've made of anything, but it was quick to do.  Here's the finished item:


The neckline is quite low so I'll need to wear a vest underneath, but I think that it'll be Ok to throw on casually with leggings and a cardigan.  This is the second time I've used this pattern; the first time I made the short version of view C.  It turned out to be a little too large for me so I gave it to my lovely friend Carly.  She's worn it in public on a few occasions so it can't be that bad!  I'm definitely planning to make it again for myself as it's a much more flattering style than this.

So what next?  I'm going to try to reproduce the success of my mum's dress and make one for myself.  I've got some lovely fabric in my stash from The Rag Market in Birmingham, and will hope to wear it on our trip to Goldhawk Road in October.  I'm also very tempted to participate in the By Hand London 'Anna' sewalong, as I'm very envious of all the lovely Annas in the blogosphere (I'm looking at you Sew Busy Lizzy, Dolly Clackett and Did You Make That?).  In addition, I succumbed to Simplicity's half price sale and bought three new patterns: 1873, 2215 and 1590.  I think it's going to be a very busy autumn!

Are you sad for the end of summer, or do you secretly looking forward to rainy Sunday afternoons with a hot chocolate and your overlocker?

Amy x

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, I love your Mum's dress, where did you get the fabric? I've just bought my first By Hand London pattern - the Anna Dress. I think you should join in the sewalong :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachael :) The fabric was from The Rag Market in Birmingham; I went for a day trip and bought loads as it was so reasonable! I think I will do the Anna sewalong as it's just after my birthday and a little birdie told me the pattern might be coming my way... Have you bought your fabric yet?

      Delete
  2. Your Mum's dress is gorgeous! The lining and zip look fantastic. Hope she loves it.

    ReplyDelete