Thursday 8 August 2013

Testing, testing...

Welcome to my first ever blog post!

I've been thinking for a while about writing a blog, and the best way to start it.  I can't say that inspiration has struck, so I've just decided to go for it!  The best place to start is at the beginning, so in the famous words of Cilla Black: 'what's your name and where do you come from?'

My name is Amy, and I'm from Bristol.

Phew, that was easy! 

I'm mostly planning to blog about sewing, hence the name.  I started sewing a few years ago; first up was a basic sewing course, then a dressmaking class, both with the wonderful and lovely Karen Reilly.  Like many sewists (sewers, seamstresses, whichever you like to use), I quickly became addicted to the joy of making things for myself (and sometimes others).  I'm not a naturally creative person, so following patterns seemed like a good way to make things, but in a pretty structured way.  


After making the usual tote bag, cushion cover, apron, peg bag, and lavender bag, my first proper project was New Look 6643.  Here's the result:

(I look quite pleased with myself, sorry.)

I then moved on to make a few more dresses from the usual suspects, plus the odd skirt and some other crafty bits like bunting. 


This is all well and good, but 'why,' I hear you ask, 'have you decided to write a blog?'  The answer lies with lots of other lovely bloggers!  From initially reading the Sewaholic and Coletterie blogs, I discovered a plethora of interesting people sharing their passion and enthusiasm for sewing, some of whom are listed below:
Did you make that?
Dolly Clackett
Guthrie & Ghani
House of Pinheiro
Pins & Needles
Sew Busy Lizzy
Sew, incidentally
Thread Carefully
She and Hem 
The Amazing Adventures of Taracat
Tilly and the Buttons

Inspired by their efforts, I'm hoping to create my own little corner of the online sewing community.  Plus, if I tell you that I'm going to do something then I have to do it, right?!
 
So that's my mission in a nutshell; tell you what I'd like to make, then make it.  Simple.

Next will be an update on my latest project.  In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed that I get a few readers...

Amy x

4 comments:

  1. Well I was wearing one of your creations on my date last night and it went down very well. He was impressed with your craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he didn't look too closely at the top stitching! Sewing with jersey is a completely different experience, so thank you for being my guinea pig :)

      Delete
  2. Hello! Good luck with your blog! Love the polka dot dress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne, thank you for reading and the lovely comment :)

      Delete